Running Linux Ubuntu on Windows 10 has become increasingly popular as users seek to harness the power of both operating systems in one environment. Whether you’re a developer, a system administrator, or just a curious tech enthusiast, this guide will walk you through the process of setting up and using Linux Ubuntu on your Windows 10 machine. With our detailed step-by-step instructions and expert insights, you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of Ubuntu without leaving your familiar Windows environment.
Table of Contents
How to Run Linux Ubuntu on Windows 10?
Running Linux Ubuntu on Windows 10 is now easier than ever. Follow these steps to get started:
- Enable Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL): Open PowerShell as an administrator and run the command
wsl --install. This enables the Windows Subsystem for Linux feature.
- Choose and Install a Linux Distribution: Open the Microsoft Store and search for your preferred Linux distribution, such as Ubuntu. Click “Install” to download and set up the distribution.
- Launch the Linux Distribution: Once the installation is complete, launch the distribution from the Start menu. The initial setup might require you to create a user and password.
- Update Your Linux Distribution: Run the command
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgradeto ensure your Linux distribution is up to date.
- Customize Your Linux Environment: You can personalize your Linux environment by installing software, themes, and configuring settings, just like you would on a standalone Linux system.
- Access Your Windows Files: You can access your Windows files within the Linux environment. They are usually located under the path
- Enjoy Ubuntu on Windows 10: With the setup complete, you can now enjoy Linux Ubuntu alongside your Windows 10 operating system.
Installing and Using Software
Installing software on your Linux Ubuntu installation within Windows 10 is a breeze:
- Using APT Package Manager: The APT package manager is your gateway to a vast library of software. Install applications using commands like
sudo apt install <package-name>.
- Graphical Software Installation: If you prefer a graphical interface, you can use tools like Synaptic Package Manager or the built-in Software Center.
- Running GUI Applications: You can run Linux graphical applications alongside your Windows applications using an X server like Xming or Windows Terminal.
Command Line Magic
Linux is renowned for its command-line capabilities. Here’s how you can harness the power of the terminal on your Windows 10:
- Bash Shell: Access the Bash shell by opening the Linux distribution. Use it to execute various commands, automate tasks, and manage your system efficiently.
- Windows and Linux Integration: With WSL, you can seamlessly integrate Windows and Linux commands, allowing you to manipulate Windows files from the Linux terminal and vice versa.
- Scripting and Automation: Leverage shell scripting to automate repetitive tasks and increase your productivity.
Can I run Linux Ubuntu alongside Windows applications?
Yes, with WSL, you can run Linux and Windows applications side by side.
Can I access the Windows file system from Linux Ubuntu?
Absolutely, your Windows files are accessible under
/mnt/c/ in the Linux file system.
Is WSL available on all Windows 10 editions?
No, WSL is available on Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions.
Can I uninstall the Linux distribution without affecting Windows?
Yes, you can uninstall a Linux distribution at any time, and it won’t impact your Windows installation or data.
How do I update my Linux distribution’s packages?
Run the command
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade in the Linux terminal.
Can I install a different Linux distribution later?
Absolutely, you can have multiple Linux distributions installed and choose between them.
Can I install Linux on Windows 10?Yes, you can install Linux on Windows 10 using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) feature.
How do I install Ubuntu on Windows 10?You can install Ubuntu on Windows 10 by enabling WSL, then downloading Ubuntu from the Microsoft Store and setting it up.
Can we install Ubuntu on Windows 10?Yes, you can install Ubuntu on Windows 10 using Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).
How to run Linux Ubuntu on Windows 10?You can run Linux Ubuntu on Windows 10 by launching it through the WSL after installing it.
How do I enable Ubuntu on Windows 10?You can enable Ubuntu on Windows 10 by turning on the Windows Subsystem for Linux feature and then installing Ubuntu from the Microsoft Store.
Running Linux Ubuntu on Windows 10 opens up a world of possibilities for developers, enthusiasts, and users who want to explore different environments within a single machine. With the Windows Subsystem for Linux, you can seamlessly integrate Ubuntu and Windows, taking advantage of both ecosystems. By following our comprehensive guide, you’ll be able to set up and utilize Ubuntu on Windows 10 with confidence. Embrace the power of Linux alongside the familiarity of Windows.